Essential oil topical use
Always dilute your essential oils before applying on your skin topically. After dilution, apply where preferred/needed.
Topical application works best in:
- Cosmeceutical use
- Skin diseases
- Wound healing
- Pain management
Recommended topical dilutions:
Facial Cosmetics 0.2 % – 1.5 %
Body Massage 1.5 % - 3 %
Bath & Body Products 1 % - 4 %
Specific Problems 4 % - 10 %
Pain & Wounds 5 % - 20 %
Recommended topical dilutions for different age groups:
0 – 3 Months 0.1 % - 0.2 %
3 – 24 Months 0.25 % - 0.5 %
2 – 6 Years 1 % - 2 %
6 – 15 Years 1.5 % - 3 %
15+ Years 2.5 % - 5 %
Why percentages, not drops or weight?
While drops or by weight may be the easiest way to blend, it is not always the best. Why? Because percentages are universal and you can use them to calculate the right amount of drops, milliliters, ounces or even grams. You just need to make sure all your ingredients are measured in the same unit.
HOW TO CALCULATE
You want to make 120ml of Lavender and Peppermint oil in a carrier oil. You want to use 3% of Lavender and 1.5% of Peppermint.
Step 1. Your total amount is 120ml
Step 2. 120 ml / 100 = 1.2 ml (1%)Step 3. 3% of Lavender = 1.2 ml x 3 = 3.6 ml
1.5% of Peppermint = 1.2 ml x 1.5 = 1.8 ml
You are using a total of 4.5% essential oil, or 5.4 ml in your 120ml of product. The remaining 95.5% (114.5 ml) are the carrier oil.
How many drops of essential oil equal 1ml?
Many people ask how many drops of essential oil equal 1ml. The number of drops in 1ml of essential oil varies between 20 and 40. Why, because this depends on the viscosity of the oil.
The average that you see out there is 1ml equals to 30 drops of essential oil. Remember, this is an average! And now you understand why using percentages is safer and more accurate!
Good carrier oils:
Fractionated Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
NOTE!Hydrosols are safer for small children!
Aromatic content: Essential oil 100 %, Hydrosol 0.05 %
Essential Oil Safety Masterclass - Tisserand Institute 2019
Essential Oil Safety - Tisserand & Young
Tisserand Institute - Essential Oil Education